Sunday 22 April 2012

Visitor's to our garden

Recently we had some visitor's to our car park garden (I call it that because we currently live in the middle of the staff car park!  Have I told you that before?) !  The kids were excited and Jess come running in yelling "there are monkeys in the garden"!  I was upstairs at the time, I can't remember now what I was doing, was I cleaning?  no... brushing my teeth?  no.... OH yes, ensuring I grab all the coins on my new Ice Age game on my Ipad! 

Green Monkeys were brought from West Africa aprox. 350 years ago.  They can be found over all of the island but tend to stick to the parishes (ie county, province, etc.) where there is more vegetation.   However we have a good  few troops in St. James and you can often see them playing on the golf course.  No matter how old you are or where you come from it is so entertaining to watch them bound around the golf course and pounce like children onto one another and then run as fast as you can so that you are not caught.  Then get distracted by a bit of twig while your buddy takes a running leap at you! Kids and adults alike stop and watch.  The only annoying thing that really irritates me are the hoards of tourists in the tour cars which take them around on a tour of the island.  These cars stop and encourage the tourists to take photo's while they entice the monkeys to them with food.  This is something I completely disagree with and has been known to create problems with little old ladies walking home with her grocery bags!  Yes I know you want to laugh, you've got an image in your head now havn't you?  Poor old lady walking along and her bags are grabbed and raided by the monkeys!   

Anyway, back to the monkeys.  They have incredibly long tales which are a yellow / olivy green colour and the girls constantly comment on their tails.  Our encounter in our garden caused great excitement as 4 monkeys scouraged through the trees.  They look for birds nests and raid the eggs.  We watched and snapped a few pics of them at one stage I thought one was going to jump to us but then they were gone! 


Monkey's tail

Checking out our neighbour's balcony!
Is he or isn't he going to jump?

No comments:

Post a Comment