Tuesday 10 April 2012

Buona Pasqua!

Very belated Easter Greetings to you all!

So what did we do today?  I love Easter, even though my other half is working hard Easter alwasy reminds me that I am blessed to be here!  I trust you all had a fabulous weekend too! 

A Bajan tradition at Easter time is to go kite flying after church on Easter Sunday.  I was soo excited for this and pictured thousands of kites flying in the deep blue sky from the white sandy beaches!  Kites are sold all over the island, on the side of the road and in the shops!  Beautiful hand made kites from paper with gorgeous patterns and a long pieces of fabric for the tail!  Tempted as I was to purchasing one of these I remembered that learning to fly a kite with young children means that the beautiful paper kite would more than likely be destroyed on it's first attempt! 

I can picture running on the beach (me) to get the kite in the air.  Hmm not a pretty image given the exclusivity on the beach!  Still I thought as we are celebrating Easter in a new country let us try to enjoy their traditions.  Two plastic kites were bought, this way I could be sure that if they were to hit the ground, a rock or in this case large pieces of coral.  A torn plastic kite would not be a big deal. 

We headed off mid morning for a swim on our local beach before heading off to do the kite flying.  Prior we had heard of all the warnings to those who wanted to fly kites in the no fly zone - being near the airport.  Okay so I thought I would ask a Bajan where does everyone go to fly their kites?  The answer I am afraid was a bit disappointing - everyone heads to The Garrison.  Don't get me wrong I know where The Garrison is but my image of thousands of kites being flown from all the white sandy beaches popped like a bubble!  Still we thought we would give it a go. 

Down on the beach we watched rain out at sea and prayed that this would not come our way.  It is great when it rains as everything is cooled down but those clouds were quite dark and gloomy out there.  We swam, we sat, we bumped into friends, sand castles were built, large holes were dug, kids were burried and before we knew it 6 hours on the beach had past.  Not one kite to be seen (ours were still in the car).  So as Easter Sunday came to a close I thought perhaps next year we'll get those kites out and fly them on The Garrison but it was a very relaxing day in the sun and enjoyment was still had by all!

No comments:

Post a Comment